View Blog Navigation

Moving away from the parent of your child

Not every divorce ends on good terms. Negative feelings can linger after the dissolution and you may wish to not see your ex any longer. You think that you’ll just pack up the belongings of you and your child and move away from them.

Unfortunately, moving away from your co-parent isn’t so simple in Pennsylvania. If your co-parent has joint custody or visitation, you must likely have a court approve your move. This is to keep custody fair for both parents rather than just the parent with primary custody.

Following the process

If you wish to move with your child, you must notify your co-parent via certified mail at least 60 days before the move unless you have less time than that to move. You’ll also need to provide the following information regarding your new home in your notice:

  • Address and a phone number for the new residence that someone can reach you at.
  • The new school information for your child.
  • The date of your move and the reasons for the move.

These are only a few examples, but a court will want as much information as possible to make the decision to approve your move. If your co-parent doesn’t respond to your relocation request within 30 days, the court will assume there is no objection and move forward. The court will then adjust your family’s custody agreement accordingly.

It’s important to follow all laws for moving and providing proper notice to help the court approve your move. Failing to do so will likely negatively impact your case.

Not skipping steps is important

The court ultimately will want to ensure that the move is in the best interest of your child, much like you do. They’ll evaluate the environment and education and community involvement of your child to ensure that the move is in their best interest.

However, it’s important to follow the proper relocation procedures whether you’re moving for work or to distance yourself from your ex.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Get Help Now

Need help from an attorney?
Don’t risk losing your rights by waiting. Contact us right now.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Vinsko & Associates, P.C.

Wilkes-Barre Office
37 North River Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702

Phone: 570-550-0815
Fax: 570-970-9711
Wilkes-Barre Law Office Map

Philadelphia Office
1700 Market Street
Suite 1005
Philadelphia, PA 19103

Phone: 215-309-8275
Fax: 215-278-4764
Philadelphia Law Office Map

Review Us

Evening and weekend appointments available