Vinsko & Associates, P.C.

The Keystone To Any Legal Strategy

Summer Permissions

| Aug 22, 2022 | Family Law

For many children, summer vacation is for fun and adventure. During the months from the beginning of June to the end of August, children may participate on sports teams, go to day camps, overnight camps, or enjoy vacations with friends or family.  In order to ensure the health and safety of children while having summer fun, parents may need to fill out and sign forms and waivers. Here’s what moms and dads need to know:


  • If you are divorced, consult your custody agreement concerning your child’s plans. Be sure you and your ex are amenable to the activities and be sure both parents sign consent forms. Also, remember to schedule vacations with enough notice to the other parent.
  • If your child, under the age of 18, will be out of your care for an extended period, you will want to sign and have notarized a medical consent allowing another adult to make decisions on his or her behalf. Most camps and summer programs provide these forms, but if “Johnny” will be spending an extended period of time at “Aunt Mary’s” house without you, you’ll want to download a form online. Search for “child medical consent form” online. Along with the form:
  • Be sure to note allergies and other medical conditions.
  • Write down any medications your child takes. Include a supply of the medication if your child will need to take it while away from you. Don’t forget the Epi-Pen (and a lesson on how to administer it for the adult in charge) for those with serious allergies!
  • Note your child’s doctor’s name and phone number.
  • Don’t forget to include copies of your child’s medical insurance card, and of course, emergency phone numbers.

3. Don’t let your child be left out of the fun! Be sure to sign any permission forms and waivers so that your child can go on field trips at camp and participate in special activities such as zip-lining, horseback riding or water skiing. Again, be sure to note any extenuating circumstances. You may need to sign a limited Power of Attorney, giving your child’s summer guardian (for example, Aunt Mary), permission to make these decisions on your behalf. A brief appointment at our office is all it takes to have a limited Power of Attorney drawn up. If your child will be flying without you, check with the airline about what documents he or she will need. International travel may require additional documentation. Both parents should sign a travel consent form, available online.

This summer, make sure your child has a safe and fun time by supplying the necessary information and forms.